Montana This Minivan replaced the Transport as the minivan in the Pontiac lineup.

intermittent starting problems, 2000 Montana

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Default intermittent starting problems, 2000 Montana

My2000 Pontiac MontanaV6 with 72K miles is having episodes of not starting for the past 14 months. It happened once last August, and started up fine after a few minutes of attempting to start it. It started fine for 2 months, then in October it wouldn't start for about 25 minutes. Problem has become more frequent. It may start on first try, fifth try, or after 15 minutes of trying. No sound is made when I try to start it, (maybe a soft "click" sometimes), but lights work.
I've had it to our garage mechanic 3 times, and two differentPontiac dealers.A relay switch was replaced. fuel pump, fuel line, fuel filter, and battery. Now the intermittent starting problem is almost daily and there seems to be no cause, rhyme or reason to it. The second dealer said the code said there was no key in the ignition when it wouldn't start for them. He advised us to keep spare key with us and immediately try second key if car doesn't start with first key. Today it wouldn't start with either key for a few minutes, then suddendly started.
When this occurs, sometimes the "security warning" light comes on, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes if I shift it into neutral the car may start, sometimes not. I can't afford to keep paying for repairs that don't solve the problem, but I'm a home care nurse who needsa reliable carthat can start every time. Thank you for any assistance anyone can give me on this.
This problem started 3 months after the 3rd automatic sliding door recall, at which time I also spent $2,000.00 for an intake manifold gasket replacement. I love this van and need to keep it until my college freshman graduates, so I welcome any thoughts or ideas.

No rhyme or reason as to humidity, temperature, first start or multiple start of the day, length of time between starts, nothing. I am appealing for ANY help or suggestions from anyone. Thank you!
When I turn the key, sometimes the car starts, sometimes it just lights the dashboard start-up lights and dings, and doesn't start. I switch keys, move it to/from neutral, and keep trying. It starts anywhere from 5 tries to literally 15-20 minutes of trying. Suddenly, on one turn of the key (with everything being done exactly the same as the multiple tries before), it will start.
This is probably unrelated, but the radio/clock lights have started to "do their own thing". One light is almost always out, but the rest of the panel seems to go totally dark, or decide to work seemingly on a whim. I may be driving to a patients house at night with no radio/clock lights, then I look down, and viola! they are on. A short time later, presto! they are off. Anyway, as a nurse with 2 kids in college I am hoping for any insight into the starting problem, I can live with the possessed radio/clock lights.

Update: Sept. 28, 2007- Took the Montana back to the dealer yesterday after our regular Sunoco garage mechanic could not get it started, and didn't have the right equipment to check it for what he suspected, (something with the security system).
Well, the Pontiac dealer has had the car for 2 days, and it has started for them EVERY time. He said today a tech went out every half hour to start it, and it started on the first try, without a problem.
Monday they are going to replace the ignition switch, at a cost of $400.00, and I hope it takes care of the problem and doesn't become more wasted money.
Still looking for ideas. Thanks. Joy

Old 06-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Default RE: intermittent starting problems, 2000 Montana

i would start at the starter and make sure all wires are tight then theignition but not itself the wires behind it