Grand Am This long running model has seen many transformations, and has always remained a popular economical vehicle.

Headlights focus

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 08:58 AM
Default Headlights focus

I replaced the headlight assemblies on our 2001 Gran Am because my lights were so glazed over from age and the weather. I also bought new bulbs. They look very clear now in the daytime, the “ lenses”. At night the projection and focus is terrible. I can’t get them focused worth a darn. They look kinda like 4 lights. There is a dim spot in between the lights. For instance, and this applies to both left and right side. On the right there is a bright, dim, bright spot illuminated. The right side seems to be shining in the ditch and too high. I turned the adjustment screws to no avail trying to get the light where I want it to be. What gets me the most is the dim spot. Both the left and right have light, dim, light spots. The bulbs are black on the ends is that doing this? They are like kinda painted that way from the factory. Is this causing my lights to show light then dimness then light. Both sides are doing this and it’s very distracting. It makes it kinda look like four bulbs shining and none of them are that particularly bright. Drove it last nite and can’t see where to turn in driveways good in subdivisions. Anyone replaced their assemblies and had this problem? Or anyone replaced their headlight bulbs and had this problem? Thanks for any suggestions.